Nestling in a green and lush valley, Barret-sur-Méouge, which was formerly two hamlets, Barret-de-Chabre (or Barret-le-Haut)
and Barret-le-Bas, is currently the commune's chef-lieu. The two hamlets were adjoined in 1944.
What to see and visit: parochial church of Saint-Michel, from the 17th century. It has been extensively modified over the centuries and has a 3-bay stained-glass window, a small turret with two bells one over the other. The 16th century chapel Saint-Jean, by the cemetery, has also been modified. It was first erected in the 12th century, when it was the property of the Benedictine abbey of Saint-André-les-Avignon. The ancient 12th century church of Saint-Laurent, now in ruins, was the first one erected in the valley and was therefore highly considered by the local inhabitants - the property of the Benedictine abbey of Saint-André-les-Avignon, it was built on a hill over the old cemetery; the ruins of a 12th century castle; the 18th century chapel Saint-Blaise in Barret-le-Haut; the ruins of the chapel Saint-Sauveur to the south.
Recommended activity: superb walking circuits.