Medieval fortified town from the 13th century, located in the Petite Camargue. Its ramparts, towers and 12 gates give it a historical charm that is both surprising and elusive. Formerly the inhabitants of the village lived from hunting, fishing, and salt production, dominated by the monks of the abbey of Psalmodie. It is Saint Louis, who, having no port on the Mediterranean, bought a territory from the monks and had a fortified city and a port built there, he embarked there in 1248 and 1270 for the crusade. Today became Aigues-Mortes.
To see, to visit : fortified enclosures (13th and 14th century), Constance tower (13th century), Notre Dame des
Sablons church (18th century), chapel of the white penitents (17th century), chapel of gray penitents (17th century), ... the salt
marshes of the Midi, exhibitions (fossils, paintings)
Recommended activities : fishing, rowing on the water of the canal, microlight.